Tuesday, November 21, 2006

a piece of my thoughts

beware! those that have been diagnosed by doctors as having short attention span, please jump to another blogsite NOW! there is no turning back beyond this point! for those with weak hearts and high blood pressure, this post may cause dizziness and palpitations. i hold no liability for any medical conditions caused by reading this entry.

i've been fairly quiet recently, i know. i haven't even had time to make my usual rounds to other blogger's site. *gasp!* thousand apologies! i just haven't been in the right mood to write recently, or to boot up the computer for that matter. i just can't seem to find a minute to sit down quietly and pen my thoughts, what with school holiday, spring cleaning and a thousand other chores on hand.

the in-laws are coming! *double gasp!* plus, they will be staying for one month this time round! *triple gasp!* while they are the best in-laws anybody can wish for, i have never had the opportunity to stay with them under one roof for more than 14 days during my entire 11 years of marriage. whilst it is fairly easy to play the part of an obedient, sub-servient, sweet daughter-in-law for short periods of time, it's going to be a challenge for me to be on my best behaviour for an extended period.

"no problem lah!", says the man who smacks his buttocks and leave for work every morning, leaving everything in my hands until he returns at the end of the day. sigh! i do adore having his parents around, but it's undeniably still a challenge for me to keep two elderly people and two whiny demanding kids entertained. it is after all school holiday and the kids have a mountainful of activites all lined up for them. i can't very well leave my in-laws locked at home, staring at each other for hours and go gallivanting, or so it will seem to their eyes, with the kids. before the end of the week, they will start holding picket signs objecting to the mental abuse. nevermind, i will jump that hurdle when i come across it.

annie may find the next paragraph a little bewildering, what with our foreign cultures and all but bear with me. it's nearly the end of the year and many fortune tellers have come out with their horoscope for next year. i must admit that i am not a total disbeliever but my usual absent-mindedness stops me from latching any serious implications to it. it goes in one ear and out the next, as with all things that are repeated to me. i have been told that next year, the year of the boar, is not such a good one for me. i take all that with a pinch of salt, although i will still visit the temple to do the annual rituals, which i do every year anyway, come good or bad. perhaps what is more troubling is the forecast for those born under the year of the dragons; my mother. sigh! it's time like this that i become aware of how i can't shield my loved ones from potential harm, no matter how much i will like to. i will prefer all the bad forecasts to be directed to the boars which perhaps are not entirely fair to the other boars. all types of ugly scenarios flash through this over-active virgo's imagination and i must constantly remind myself not to panic. breathe, breathe. sheesh! what a drama-queen. seriously though, i worry but i act nonchalant so as not to frighten my mother further. this year has already been the worst of my life and i hope that this year will still hold that record when i look back at the end of next year. i don't think i'm ready for more grown up responsibilities yet. i don't quite know how to deal with the heartache yet.

14 comments:

Las montaƱas said...

In laws. They'll nag you to death! esp the woman.

Cocka Doodle said...

Bring them to the Bloggers Meet on the 30th Dec lah! I'm sure they'd love it. LOL

Anonymous said...

aiyo..in-laws staying for a month! my wife will divorce me if that happens! good luck~1 month go very quick wan!

Anonymous said...

'My wife will divorce me if that happens' OMG, HA HA HA HA HA, this wuching is hilarious!

Ah poor ME! Don't stress yourself. You can do it. Positive thinking.. One month only ma!

Anonymous said...

*Hugs* to you. I like the fact that you do not write "negatively" about your in laws. I am not too close to my in law too but I get along with them. We must always remember one day we will be labelled "In laws" too, so what goes around, comes around (ot is it the other way.Lol)

As for the yearly fortune prediction, I try not to believe too much but I too do the usual rituals at the temple. It's kinda like better be safe than sorry ;)

sengkor said...

wha...? next year also no good for dragons? this year oredi suey.. when will all these end..?*sniff*sniff*

Annie said...

Just take it one month at a time.

No. wait. I didn't calculate that right. I saw your disclaimer so I had to wait to read your entry AFTER I put my kids to bed.

I always worry about my mother's health. *I* will be the only one to take care of her.

You will be expected to look the part of the perfect wife and mother. Lose your cool and you must face judgement day. My mother calls me today to give me advice on how I can feed my children better. I'm supposed to say, "OOH, goooood food. yummmy" to broccoli. Sorry, MOM, it doesn't work. mmkay? Been there, tried it. Find a Bingo game to attend to, will ya?

Why a friggin MONTH! Errr... Maybe they'll take a lot of naps. Old people do that ya know. Keep us posted.

King's wife said...

Not booting the computer is not so bad after all. I find that some 'off' days are good.

Goodluck with your in-laws! 1 month very fast one. In the blink of an eye. ( who am I kidding?? )

Anonymous said...

"i have never had the opportunity to stay with them under one roof for more than 14 days during my entire 11 years of marriage."

no wonder lah u sed b4 u have the nicest in-laws anyone cud wish for. absence makes the heart fonder while familiarity breeds contempt!! marriage can be such a messy business, sigh.

Anonymous said...

*gasp!*
your in-laws are coming!!
*gasp!*
*gasp!*

and take all that horroscope stuff with lots of salt.

me said...

dear monty: i don't know, my in-laws are not like that. they are actually very nice. all these years, they've showed me nothing but affection.

dear cocka: kakakaka. they will be horrified to know this other side of me. and they will faint when they speak to cocka!! auntie ah, i can see your love handles leh pengsan!

dear wuching: so serious meh? what happens when they grow too old to take care of themselves?

dear jonzz: that's what i thought. wuching, wuching *shaking head* thanks for the encouragement *wink* it's not going to be so bad. my mil will pamper me with lots of bird nest and nutritious soup *grins*

dear imd: how can i write badly about the ppl who gave birth to HD and taught him to be the good man that he is today? i don't know if it's because we don't meet very often or we don't meet too long, but they have always been very nice to me. their love to me is genuine, so i love them in return like my own parents. about the temple bit, yah, if not something not so nice happen, we will hit our head against the wall. regret also too late to start praying.

dear sengkor: you're dragon ah? then you better go to the temple personally on the 15th of the lunar month, ok? and be careful on the lunar 5th month. do more charity, yah? take care. sigh! another person for me to be worried about.

dear annie: eeek, monkey! behold! monkey speaks! heehee. don't know what gd reading the post after putting yr kids to bed will be, you'll still be subjected to palpitations and heart attack! your mum gives you advice on feeding your children? i don't know abt yours, but the last time my mum took care of kids personally was like 35 years back, so i think she must be a little out of touch. hehe. bingo game? nice one.

dear kw: yah, need some time off the negative aura of the computer's vibes! kakaka. sure or not? one month pass very fast? ok, you'll be here when i need to rant and whine, hor?

dear sooi2: true. it's part of the reason we are still civil and sweet to each other; they never had a chance to know the ugly side of me. haha! but as chinese say "getting together is easy, staying together is difficult". and this will be true even with your own parents or spouse, so....*shrugs shoulder* it's all about give and take.

dear may: yes, triple gasp! haha! just what i did *grins* but last year the horoscope thing proved to be pretty accurate for a few people i know. still, it's better to be safe...but not paranoid. *grins*

Anonymous said...

OII!!! I'm a boar!! How could you do this to fellow boars??!!! I've had my share of crappiness this year too!!! UNFAIR!!!

Las montaƱas said...

I thought Ian was saying "oink!!"

me said...

dear ian: yeh, that's what i said - unfair to other boars. sigh! but when your mum is involved, you just instinctly want to shield her from pain. it's just thoughts from deep inside my heart...prob shouldn't have said it here....both topics were sitting in the bottom of my heart and i debated whether i wanted to leave it here in this blog...that's why the title of the post was a piece of my thoughts. sorry, piggy.

dear monty: he's not that cute. he grunts!! *grins*