Monday, November 06, 2006

how did you know if you have married the right person?

i borrowed this title from immomsdaughter, or something to that effect.

i have ten reasons (let's hope i do, i haven't start counting them yet. i'm squeezing the brain cells as we go along) why i know i married the right man:

1. he gives me the very last piece of that juicy bite, if i practice the 'poor hungry saliva-drooping' look jussssst right.

2. he walks 10 miles to do an errand for me so that i don't have to move one step. when i'm too tired to pick-up after the kids, he will (provided there is no other soul around). he knows i'm lazy and he takes it as part and parcel of this wonderful package :-)

3. he not only loves me but he loves my immediate family members too. not one of those fake 'uh huh, i like you too' kind of thing.....unless he is a damn good actor, but i think he really cares about them.....hmmm, well, maybe some of them!

4. he will fight to do the things that he thinks i don't want to do; like driving. or maybe he just can't stand my driving skills......!!!

5. he will prepare breakfast for me....if he doesn't sense any initiative on my part that morning. if i look like i'm up on my toes and moving about in the kitchen, then he'll plod back on his bum and read the newspaper :-) what a good team we are!

6. he has no qualms about spending money on me! and i have no objection to him reaching for his wallet to pay for all my meals. :-D

7. when questioned with 'if your mother and i fall into the sea together, who will you rescue?', he replies my mother, of course. what do you think i am? crazy? i can never love anyone who will give up their old mother for a young and able-bodied wife!

8. okay, i'm racking my brains a little. hmmm....he makes me laugh. the first thing that attracted me and one of the things i appreciate in him. what's life without laughter?

9. when i feel unwell, he takes care of the kids and keep them out of my hair. for a few hours at least, until he sense that i have enough rest...then he'll lower the drawbridge and let the vikings in again.

10. finally. he was and will always be by my side. through thick and thin. through good and bad. through happiness and sadness. through....you get the idea.

previous years, it was all about what he should get me to mark that special occasion. i'll name the thing, or he would venture an adventurous and often not very intuitive guess, and i'll get whatever it was. however, looking back, the gifts didn't bring me a sense of fulfilment or elation.

we spent the whole of yesterday a lot like any other weekend. a little sports in the morning, shopping and movie in the afternoon and roaming around a carnival in the evening. it was no different, yet i felt contented. i feel lucky to be able to spend just another simple day with the people i love and i look forward to the many more to come. corny, huh?

happy anniversary, my dear.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Haha....so it's not the chocolates. *grin*

Before I get married, I going to go thru this checklist of yours. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you and your hubs!!

still looking for mine. eh, can curi your list and make it into a criteria contract ah? hahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

Awww...so sweet...Happy Anniversary to you & MOTH.

*Psst psst* since my anniversary is coming up, can I copy & paste your post...muar ha ha *runs away from ME's rotten eggs*

Las montaƱas said...

1. Here, take it. Its too fatty for me.

2. Honey, would you please take the carkeys, or here, call this cab number.

3. Who are those people lah! how come your brother lidat one! how come your mother so nag nag one!!

4. Honey, sorry I am soooo tired today.

5. Lets go out for breakfast.

6. Before: yes lets buy it! After: hmmm, but my account abit drained. Can we use the shared account?

7. Yah lah! before was "you", now is "my mother"

8. I'm in a bad mood today after a bad day in the office. Dear, can bring me some cheer?

9. Sayang dear. But the kids.. lets send them to your mom?

10. Tis one must lah. Standing together thru thick and thin. Remembered take marriage vow mah.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! Hope you had a great anniversary. If not, there is still another 364 days to make up for it *grin*

This Pooh... so blurr... that list is an post-marriage checklist. Checking before marriage is not gonna work because before marriage he's a saint, after marriage, he ain't. *evil laugh*

You need to buy jonzz's All-Purpose Lie Detecting services first. It takes one to catch one, ha ha ha.

Wuching said...

i thot i was reading mills & boon..no, it is mslenglui's blog!

Anonymous said...

i say, reason no.6 is significant enough to make up for 5 other reasons in the list...kakakah! u wont believe how many "men" nowadays who wud happily live on their women's money!

happy anniversary to mr & mrs ME!

Helen said...

Happy anniversary!!! Such a sweet post.. did you show it to him? lol

Anonymous said...

why all women live in a fantasy world wan?

me said...

dear poochie: u don't have to worry. before marriage, they will all pass the test. it's after 11 years that it is a different story, or long before that actually!

dear may: don't cook breakfast, fail. don't pay money for me, fail. don't take care of me, fail. kakakaka. it's a 2-way thing; you have to give as much in order to reap this reward :-)

dear imd: heeeheee. so save energy ah? must quote original writer, hor?! in which case, your hubby will ask....'what is this line - written by ms. me'? who is ms. me and what does she have to do with our anniversary? *grins*

dear monty: from the man's point of view, issit? toe chee moe kum hoe sei (already know not so good die - direct translation). whatever reasons lah, the most important is the end result mah. it's not wise for a woman to question a man's motives too much.

dear jonzz: are you calling yourself a liar?! hmmmm. even you admit men are all like that, before saint, after.......sheesh! it's so pathetic! lucky mine is like wine, taste better with age.

dear wuching: when do we get to the steamy hot sex part then?

dear sooi2: really got so cheapskate one ah? sheesh! no gentleman manner also. must brainwash them a little; make them understand that it's their privelege to be able to pay for us. kakakaka! many people want to stand in line to pay also we don't accept.

dear helen: that little busybody reads my blog *grins*

me said...

dear ah pek: you so naughty. really got men like that one! quite rare lah...but i like to think that you get back as much as you give out.

Anonymous said...

Well, to be fair, I think it applies to both genders. Before marriage, both are lovey dovey and eager to please, but once the knots are tied, both become lax and start taking things for granted. Hey, the flames of love may fizzle, that's why marriage requires commitment.

Las montaƱas said...

no jonzz, after marriage, she puts on so much weight and goes out of shape. no longer desirable. :P

Anonymous said...

Urrrhhggss...Monty. Who gets dat undesirable tummy after marriage? It is the man! If the woman becomes puts on weight, it is only becos she has to fulfil her duties to give birth. Its a sacrifice ok! ;p

And please, the "before marriage lovey dovey theory" is crap. If you nv quarrel with your loved one, then u r not ready to marry. ha!

Anonymous said...

If the woman can't slim down after giving birth, it is becos the man din give her $$ to do slimming treatments. wahahahaha....

me said...

dear jonzz: yes, the romance fizzles out. that's guaranteed. and all that remains...is the love! *grins* isn't that beautiful? who wants to have heart palpitations, second-guessing and sweaty palms for the rest of your life anyway?

dear monty: look at prince charles. diana was stunning, but he picked the ugly one. there's no excuse for infidelity. through fast and thin, they should amend the vows. unless of course you promised to marry her waistline, and not the person.

dear poochie: oooo, it's getting serious here. don't bother about their remark. guys are programmed to be shallow. eeek *runs away before monty sends some of his flying missiles*

Annie said...

Dang! I almost missed the fight! Where do I stand? Next to the girls.. thank you.

Happy Anniversary ME. My present to my hubby was NOTHING - I told him I didn't want to remind him he was *STILL* married to me. I know how men feel. They think about all that money they could have bought a boat, a cabin and trip to Hawaii and a nice truck - instead it's spent on baby bottles, mortgages, kids' toys and the such.

My opinion? Men want to stay bachelors all their lives. Why they get married? They get tired of dating... then they get tired of marriage. They're weird that way.

Annie said...

Dang! I almost missed the fight! Where do I stand? Next to the girls.. thank you.

Happy Anniversary ME. My present to my hubby was NOTHING - I told him I didn't want to remind him he was *STILL* married to me. I know how men feel. They think about all that money they could have bought a boat, a cabin and trip to Hawaii and a nice truck - instead it's spent on baby bottles, mortgages, kids' toys and the such.

My opinion? Men want to stay bachelors all their lives. Why they get married? They get tired of dating... then they get tired of marriage. They're weird that way.

Anonymous said...

Wah lau... lum sei yan..

Cocka Doodle said...

Happy Anniversary! Although this was another of your damn 9 long post, it was worth a read.

*scribble scribble those points*

me said...

dear annie: you made up for being late by posting twice?? o..k..

i know all men will love to return to their rocking bachelor days, especially AFTER they have been married for some time. infact, some women will too. marriage isn't all that it's cracked up to be; it's ALL hard work.

dear ian: can lum sei yan meh? i don't see his face very lum also? *scratching head* at least, i didn't get a humungous gigantic present on my table. kakakaka!

dear cocka: haha. you are so like my hubby. he also complained this post was too long. good things ae worth being cheong hei mah. haiyah! men are always complaining about women being too cheong hei. when don't talk, also complain so quiet.

titoki said...

Your hubby got brotherSss or not? ;pPppPpppp

Anonymous said...

i wish in future, i'll be able say the same thing as what u had said. the list is really great.i think all girls wud really looking forward that; right after marriage, ten years after marriegae or even 100yrs...if still alive. ;-)
Happy Anniversary & Congrats!! Happy for both of u.

me said...

dear titoki: you've got so good qualities, sure no problem to hook a good one soon. hubby got brother....but also married already leh. *grins* and his personality doesn't run in the family

dear csh: actually, it's how you choose to look at it. during the 10yrs, there are plenty of times i would have gladly strangled him...there are good and bad. only look at the good things each time and erase the bad ones from your memory and you'll be happy.