Thursday, December 28, 2006

childish

let me start by saying i have a very annoying nephew. one with attitude. one who is spoilt to the max. i harbour a secret desire to trash his not-so-little bottom, and i would if i won't get in trouble with the rest of the family.

that little menace had the galls to ask for a $300+ christmas present from this aunty, which isn't necessary a bad thing if he has been a little angel all year round and rarely gets any goodies from his near and dear. on the contrary, of course. $300! hello? i can feed a lot of people with that, you know? families from the flood-troubled johor will be grateful for that kind of donation. whatever happened to a nice book or a new set of stationeries to start the new academic year? he obviously does not understand the value of money. *shaking head* however, this aunty does not want to look like el cheapo by not getting his desire from the nearest toys 'r' us. plus, it does seem pretty unfair that his sisters have already received their presents before christmas and his is still 'in progress'.

i received a phone call from him this morning, bright and early, even before half of you are seated behind your desk. wow! he misses me that much.....not! i never found out the real reason he called me as i decided to come clean before he got his hopes up high. he has just returned from his holiday and after his greeting, i informed him that i have not been able to get his present as toys 'r' us has run out of the stock during the christmas madness. this is where it pisses me off...and hence my ranting in this post. the little boy took on the most dramatic reaction and started sighing and whining. it started with a very annoying "WHA???!!!". oh yes, visions of me wringing his neck came vividly into my mind and my hands itched so badly. i told him that i'll bring him to choose another present soon but he went on and on about how he could have got it in japan during his holidays, if i had told him earlier. sighhhhh! god, please give me patience. i pushed back the blame on him and told him that he could have called me to ascertain that i have not already bought it for him. (this was sparked off because during his last birthday, he asked me to buy an original psp game for him and he later went off and asked his father to get the very same game). he replied very impatiently that japan is too far to make a phone call. god knows how many phone calls i have already received from them! then he hung up! he hung up on me!!!

which brings me here to release my pent-up frustration. he didn't give me the satisfaction of screaming down the phone at him or releasing my childish side by repeating 'i can't hear you, i can't hear you'. he didn't give me the joy of hanging up on him first. maybe i should get him a stink bomb and wrap it up as a beautiful present.

suddenly, i'm reduced to a whining, frustrated childish aunty. sighhhhh!

is he the child or am i?

this wasn't even what my post today was supposed to be about.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would've been just as frustrated as you were, had I been in your shoes! we all need to rant "childishly" every once in awhile, it's good for the soul... *pat pat*

sengkor said...

call him back and tell him u oredi got the pressie.. and when he is about to get excited, hang up.

Anonymous said...

*PIAK!!*

nah, a nice pressie for him.

Anonymous said...

oh dear. so much for being a "good" aunty. poor you.

it makes me feel like slapping the little spoilt brat!! ugh.... i never had to have this luxury of getting what i wanted, not to mention such an expensive gift. i practically had to kneel and beg my parents for it! and u! ure not even his mother! ure just an aunty!!!

me said...

dear may: i still feel like wringing my hands around his neck, esp with his persistent lousy attitude today. grrrrrrrr!

dear sengkor: good idea! but i don't want to face the angry parents when he starts whining and complaining about his lousy aunty.

dear sooi2: ooooooo, i would so love to do that.

dear gsh: sigh! we come from the reasonable generation. these kids nowadays come from the excessive generation. tell me about it. you should hear the things he said today....patience, patience....

Anonymous said...

I also want an expensive present for my coming birthday...*chup*

Las montaƱas said...

aiyah, if aunty is like taitai lidat (read very rich), then I also will ask, and not just $300 oni!

Unknown said...

Uahhh! Sapa ajar budak nih??

Anonymous said...

He has a point : you should have come clean with him from the very beginning...to a kid ..a promise is a promise. If the family could afford to go to Japan, they very well could afford to buy it in Japan

You have a point too : He is spoiled and has no right to pester you. However presents are not earned. We give because of love and affection. A distinction has to be made here :)

Sorry if I come across as authoritative :) just that I am used to such tantrums too from my kid

Happy new year

me said...

dear licky: cannnnnnn....provided i strike lottery first. :-)

dear monty: liddat ah? you must give special services to your so-called 'aunties', then sure you will get very expensive presents. hahaha!

dear bernard: tak ada orang..itulah problemnya.

dear bengbeng: he's got a point? i've got a point? so, what you're saying is there's no right or wrong here?...which is sadly true. from a child's point of view, i'm probably a terrible aunty. however, i don't see the urgency of the need to place an overseas call for this purpose loh. then again, it's from my point of view, as the one forking out the money, so of course there's no great need for me to know of it. for him, it's probably the end of the world. i do feel extremely guilty for not getting it for him, and i check everytime i pass a toy shop. the 24million dollar question for me will be....if i do see it, will i get it for him? taking into account his lousy attitude, the fact i've already replaced with another present, albeit a cheaper one and the fact that he is extremely ungrateful and unappreciative. the fish will be more appreciative of the present if i were to throw it into the deep sea. :-p heehee. anyway, thanks for dropping by and listening to my rantings.