Thursday, August 17, 2006

a tradition of love

when HD is sad, i am sad. when HD is happy, i am happy. but today, HD looks sad......

another chinese birthday draws close, to mark another notch in my age. it is not such a big deal, i guess but each and every year my mother will prepare a simple meal of mee sua with 2 red eggs for me in celebration of it. provided, of course, that she recalls the day. and so, i make an extra special effort to remind her prior to that everytime :-) how else will i get my treat?

we have carried on this tradition for as long as i can remember and it applies for every member of the family. a simple meal but it brings such warmth to the heart. watching her move about in the kitchen, preparing that meal just for me, i am reminded that she loves me and cares enough to make an extra effort on that day. i guess it is something that i know, something that is sitting in the bottom of my heart. however, it is still very pleasant to be reminded of it.

watching her fingers red from the dye used for colouring the eggs, a warmth fills me. a red egg is but a symbol of the occasion. for that, she has to put up with patches of red on her fingers for the rest of the day as the colouring is usually semi-permanent. looking at it, it is like a badge of her love for me, worn for all to see.

to me, that is what a birthday should be about. not presents, though sometimes the presents are a mere representation of someone's affection. not delicious 6-course dinners, though once again it is also an indication that someone loves you enough to lavish the money and time on you. in my opinion, a birthday is not a celebration of the years that you have lived but an opportunity to be reminded of your worth in the heart of others.

this year, my mother came to me to remind me that my birthday is around the corner. unfortunately, she will not be around to prepare that special meal for me. i can see the apologetic look in her eyes and it is suffice to fill me with warmth again. i never meant for it to be an obligation to her. this year, the fact that she has remembered my birthday makes me feel like i have already eaten that very delicious and aromatic bowl of hot mee sua, complete with two red eggs, of course.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very traditional Hokkien birthday celebration indeed.

Oops...have you ever been asked to pick 'rolled paper numbers' with your chopsticks before surpling on your hot mee suah?

Eh, google me your pick if you have. hehehe...

Las montaƱas said...

wah i also wan to come try your mom's meesua!

me said...

dear licky: *grins* bingo. pick rolled paper numbers? never leh. infact never even heard of it before. you mean those are lucky numbers for lottery issit? sounds so interesting. wish you have a blog so you can post a story on that and tell me more.

dear lm: wahhhh! my mum's mee sua is the absolute best. talking about it also brings saliva to my mouth. you just can't imagine. there is no shop outside that can beat hers. unfortunately, i have not been able to steal her skills :-(

Anonymous said...

happy chinese birthday to you, soon. hope you have your 2 red eggs to cherish!

*hugs*

Fantasy "Sticky" Flier said...

have a happy birdday dearie, 2 eggs where got enough? must be a dozen....

Ianfluenza said...

HAPI BDAY woohoo... tiga *ahem* puluh *ahem* lima *ahe....* *WOPOW!*

*Finding myself lying on the floor. Amidst the immense pain sipping in my cranium, I vaguely saw the culprit responsible for my assault... The slipper...

*Vision blurred...

*faint*

Wuching said...

aww..precious!

me said...

dear may: i am sure someone will make it up to me *grins*

dear ff: birdday ah? you figure me for a cuckoo? *smiles* and a dozen eggs? yep, that will get my cholesterol level on par with my age.

dear ian: wakes up with a pain at the side of the head. gingerly touches the bump, opens eyes slowly, only to see....another slipper flying at you at hi speed. after all, all good things come in a pair. :-)it's tiga puluh enam by the way, since it's chinese.

dear wuching: me or my post? keke :-)

titoki said...

Happy Bird Day to ME (I mean you)!
Happy Bird Day to ME (I mean you)!
Happy Bird Day to ME~ (I mean you)!
Happy Bird Day to ME!!! (I mean you)!

;p Meesua with duck soup is yummy.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you. I love the way you captured the appreciation & love for your mom in her food preparation during your birthdays. I could not write a better description of it. My mom used to do the same thing but now it's just two eggslah :)Believe me, I know how appreciated you feel by her simple gesture.

me said...

dear titoki: hahaha. sengkor told me that this name i chose will be trouble. i was stupid enough not to listen. :-) i've also tried the duck soup type...but mummy's still the best.

dear min: even with the two eggs, it's enough to remind you that she loves you :-)this is one tradition that i will love to carry forward to my own children. unfortunately, mum still does such a good job of cooking them for her grandchildren. will my kids have any special memory to ponder about when they are old enough? *smiles*

Cocka Doodle said...

You born in the 7th month wan ah?
Welcome to the club!

Anonymous said...

dear cocka: *hi 5*

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, someone must be here to cook for you even though your mom not around. Happy birthday.

seefei said...

good value yr mum pass down!!

Admin said...

happee bird day...

Robin CHAN said...

hihi,

saying about love, I have got the passport on gratitude for u and your kid.

can u email me?

me said...

dear why: *wink wink* i just hope it's edible.

dear fei: ya hor. old values are the best.

dear ah pek: cheep cheep

dear robin: thank you so much

Sasha Tan said...

*Sasha brings "me" a bowl of hot mee suah and 2 bijik red eggs*

Happy Birthday Dear...

me said...

dear sasha: *eyes twinkling, takes bowl of mee sua & eggs, wallop the whole thing, bowl, egg shells & all* burppppp, thanks dearie :-D